Old World Aviaries
Our weaning diet
We believe that we provide an excellent diet for our weaning babies. Although there is nothing magic about the diet, you should try to duplicate it as closely as possible when your baby comes home. Changes to the diet should be introduced gradually. Here is the diet.
- Dr. D's Parrot Starter Grower pellets. (Always present. You
should switch to Parrot Maintenance at approximately 8 months.)
- Lafeber's Parrot-sized Nutriberries - 3 per day for larger birds, such
as Greys and Eclectus, 2 per day for smaller birds, such as Senegals and
- Fresh fruit and vegetables: Our babies are used to corn-on-the-cob, apples,
oranges, jalapeños, grapes, and carrots everyday. Red or black grapes are typically
preferred over green by the babies and are probably healthier. They also
get pomegranates when we have ripe fruit. Do
- About 2 inches of spray millet as a treat.
- Mixed nuts: Almonds, walnuts, human-grade peanuts. (In limited quantity.
For example, two almonds, half a walnut, and one peanut.)
- A small amount of a quality seed mix. About a 1/3 cup for larger babies
and 1/4 cup for smaller babies.
Dr. D's pellets are available at http://www.avi-sci.com/
or call 800-942-3438.
Contact Us |
Copyright, Old World Aviaries. All rights, both printed
and electronic, reserved. You may freely link to this site. You may
not reproduce any materials from this site without written permission.