Old World Aviaries
The avian gourmet—
submitted by Sue Walsh
Mix according to package directions:
- 3 packages cornbread mix.
- 3–6 extra eggs.
- 2 cups grated carrots.
- 1 tbs Dolomite powder (available from health--food stores).
- 1 cup uncooked oatmeal.
- 1 tsp honey.
- 1 cup treat seed, thistle, or poppy seed. (My birds like thistle best. Poppy seed is a natural deterrent to loose droppings.)
Pour into a well--greased oblong cake pan. Cover with foil and cook 35 minutes or longer until mixture sets in the middle. Do not brown or over cook. I serve a 1--inch square per pair of breeding canaries per day prior to brooding and after hatching until the babies fledge.
Large softbill diet
submitted by Wendy Pelham
- 1/2 cup cooked white or brown rice.
- 1/4 cup dry monkey chow, ground in a blender.
- 1/4 cup Sun Maid Fruit Bits, soaked overnight.
- 2 tbs Bag O' Bugs.
Mix ingredients and serve immediately. Change at least twice daily to ensure your birds don't digest any soured foods. You can replace the Bag O' Bugs with live insects. Yum!
Copyright, Old World Aviaries. All rights, both printed and electronic, reserved. You may freely link to this site. You may not reproduce any materials from this site without written permission.